7. In case of意为“假使;如果;万一”;in the case of意为“就……来说”。如:
In case of fire,ring the alarm.
如有火灾,按火警铃。
In the case of a physical change no new substance is formed.
就物理变化来说,没有新的物质产生。
8. Other意为“另外的人或物”,泛指;the other意为“(两个中的)另一个”,特指。如:
Show me some others,please.
请给我看一些其它的。
I have two brothers. One is a teacher,the other is a doctor.
我有两个兄弟,一个是老师,一个是医生。
9. People指“人;人们”,是泛指;作“民族”解时复数为peoples;the people指“人民”。如:
Ten people attended the meeting.
10个人参加了这次会议。
The people,and the people alone,are the motive force in the making of world history.
人民,只有人民,才是创造世界历史的动力。
10. Out of question意为“毫无疑问”;out of the question意为“不可能的;办不到的;不必谈的”。如:
The victory is out of question.
胜利是毫无疑问的。
His coming is out of the question .
他不可能来。
11. Last week(month…)指现在讲话时以前的那个星期(月……);the last week(month…)指到今天为止的以前的一个星期(月……)里。如:
I had a cold-last week.
我上星期感冒了。
I has had a cold for the last week.
我感冒了一个星期。